I have been craving popcorn tofu chik’n, but, when i went to Asda for my Cauldron tofu, the shelf was bare! damn vegans… also, yey, lots of vegans out there woohooo, its a double edged sword for me!
So, I had the craving and all the ingredients except the main one, which made me think, what could I use instead? I always have aubergine in the cupboard (I slice it, grill it, cover it in sriracha and stuff it in my big fat mouth!), and I remembered the crispy fried cauliflower of last week and though, oh! i’ll try to cube the aubergine and see if it works! And you know what? It really does. Battered and fried aubergine goes so soft it almost melts in your mouth inside that crunchy batter! Success! So, without further waffling from me, here it is and how I did it! I hope It makes your tummy as happy as it made mine!
- One Aubergine.
- One packet of Rice Noodles.
- Coconut oil (for frying) or which ever oil you prefer, but I live and die by coconut oil.
Batter (as before, measure out into one bowl and mix together!)
- 1/2 cup of flour (I used GF plain flour)
- 1/2 cup of soya milk (if you use almond milk, one quarter milk and one quarter water)
- 1 tea spoon of garlic powder
Peanut Sauce (again, measure directly into one bowl, as you will wizz them all together and voila, its done!)
- 3/4 cup of peanut butter (I used Meridian smooth peanut butter, because thats what was in my fridge. I have made this before with sunpat, and it was just as good, its just that now I try to be more aware of palm oil, and meridian doesnt have any in it)
- 2 table spoons of rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 3 table spoons of maple syrup (or agave!)
- 1 1/2 tea spoons of ginger. (I use the lazy already minced on that comes in a jar. The same with my garlic. I use a lot of these ingredients and i cant be peeling and mincing ever other hour! )
- 2 cloves of garlic (as I said above, i used the ready minced one, so i take one clove to be one tea spoon)
Make the batter and put it to one side, then slice and cube the aubergine. I removed the skin with a peeler as this can be a little bitter.
In batches, cover the aubergine in the batter and fry. Have a plate waiting at the side with a paper napkin on it ready to put the aubergine on when it is fresh from the wok.
While you are frying the aubergine, make the peanut sauce. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and wizz up with your hand blender. Add more peanut if you want it creamier.
When the last batch of aubergine is cooking, fry the rice noodles. I use this coconut fry light to infuse the noodles with a coconut flavour.
Try to have some self control and dont dip the aubergine into the peanut sauce with your hands and stuff it in your mouth like a viking. A well mannered vegan viking, but a viking non the less!
Ok. Now assemble. Noodles, aubergine, peanut sauce.
Photograph it for instagram to show the world what amazing yummy cruelty free food looks like and that you are, in fact, a sparkly vegan warrior.